Wednesday, July 18, 2012

2012 Red Desert Elk Hunt

A short update on our elk hunt

Yesterday, I finally got ahold of our area's warden. I had never even heard of calling a warden (or BLM office) for tips on an upcoming hunt, apparently, this is a common practice! How had I not known? Besides the fact that my side of the family never asks for help...! While talking to the warden, I got answers to several questions.

1. Where to camp and how to get there (yes, we rough it when hunting, Montana Canvas tent, Mr. Heater attached to a propane tank...let me tell ya. The first year I did this was interesting. Dad and I used to just do day hunts, as our areas were 40 miles away at most!).

2. Bull to cow ratio, I can tell you his answer to this one, since it won't really give anything away. This particular area's herd is jokingly called the "Brokeback Herd"...yes, that's right. Not that the elk are homosexual...there are 70 bulls to every 100 cows. Ridiculous, right?!


3. Where are the water areas? Not giving you the answer here, but it has been such a dry year everywhere! I heard on the news the other day that this year is being compared to the drought in the 1930's! Now there is a scary comparison. Usually, the reservoirs are all full.This year, it will be difficult to find water anywhere. Really hoping for rain come August-October!

These were the main questions. My husband's friend told him that I should call instead of doing it himself. His friend said that when he calls BLM he doesn't get much info, but when his wife calls, she can be on the phone twice as long! Shows that there is an effort to get women out into the fields! I'm definitely in agreement with that one!

No comments:

Post a Comment